A: It is important to look after your fingers and prevent calloused (rough, hard skin) and black dots (bleeding under the skin).
Callous and black dots can be caused by blunt needles and not rotating your fingers enough when testing. Some important tips to prevent damage include:
- Wwash your hands before testing
- Change your lancet more frequently, if not every time you test try and change it at least once a day
- Use the sides of your fingers
- Use all of your fingers, not just favouring one finger
- Check how deep the needle is set to go into your finger, if it is too deep then this ca cause black dots (bleeding under the skin)